Sunday 13 July 2014

Frozen

Hello there. I love snow. It’s no secret to those who know me that it’s my favourite type weather. It’s just such a beautiful thing. It makes even the greyest of areas a white clean canvas.
Animated snow is the most gorgeous of art forms. There is a scene in the 2001 anime version of Metropolis during a revolutionary protest where it starts to snow and its one of the most powerful pieces of anime ever put onto screen. Saying that maybe I should be reviewing that amazing film and not this one. Maybe I will at some later date.
But onto the Disney snowy landscape first.
I enjoyed the film very much but things still niggled me about certain aspects of the plot.
It’s about a snow queen who can touch things and turn them into ice or snow.  But she can wear thin gloves to stop her magical power. Gloves, thin cotton gloves? How on earth does that work? How does that stop her from turning things to ice? Then later she is seen waving her hands about and ice is just forming from her across the room. Did she need the gloves or not? Also does her power come from her hands or her skin? Her face isn’t covered.

Just what is her power? Because later she makes a snowman come to life. How did she do that? How did she create life? She makes a walking talking snowman and another angry grunting being. Why can’t the second thing speak?
Olaf the snowman might be the Jar Jar of the film. (and I use that as a stereotype meaning an annoying character, because personally I never had a problem with Jar Jar. I know, sue me) but he’s funny and makes sure the story doesn’t get too dark at times when it could veer down that path.
Also it’s another Disney film where a four legged creature who isn’t a dog acts like a dog. This time a reindeer rather than the horse from Tangled.
The songs are OK but only a handful of them stick in the mind afterwards. No wonder the main Oscar winning song ‘Let It Go’ has been adopted by the LGBT community since it is song about being true to yourself and not giving a damn what other people think about you.
Oddly the first time I watched the film I thought there were too many songs but on the second viewing I didn’t mind them so much.
It is now the biggest money making animation Disney has made. It is the best, no not by a long shot when you look at their classic back catalogue but it their most fun and polished in quite a while.



No comments:

Post a Comment