Tuesday 22 July 2014

The Lego Movie

Hello there. I have to admit when they first said there was to be a Lego movie I was bricking it that it would be just a bad long advert of my favourite toy. I also worried it would be all CGI.
I needn't have worried. It is beautiful, the truly fitting tribute to a great product. The jokes are fantastic, with in-joke built on top of in-joke. It’s the type of film I doubt you can fully see it all even if you have watched it over and over.

Some of the jokes are surprisingly adult too. In fact the whole thing is too good for kids. I don’t use this word lightly, but the last ten minutes are a work of genius. The whole film is a surreal delight, the type of film an idiot would say that an American studio couldn't pull off. But pull it off they do.

The plot, well at ground level, that is basically the plot of The Matrix and every ‘chosen one’ variety of narrative.  But to try and sound clever for a moment the film is very meta, it’s knows it’s a movie. It knows its plot is a joke within a joke. The joy is it doesn't care. It really couldn't care less. I do wonder how Lego deep down feel about this film. The main message about building worlds for yourself and living your life without rules goes against the main thing Lego is all about these days.

The voice cast couldn't be better. Choosing to go with lesser known people for most of the main roles rather than huge stars is great. Picking the people right for the parts rather than trying to nail whoever is cool at the moment into a Lego body. That isn't to say there aren't big stars in there too. Some of them are huge and a joy when they pop up.
In closing I shouldn't have worried it’s glorious. Now I just have to worry about the inevitable sequel.


No comments:

Post a Comment