Friday 18 July 2014

The Spirit

Hello there. A guilty pleasure film is meant to be a film you like but should be ashamed of liking. To be totally honest with you I’m not ashamed to like any of the strange, hugely over the top films that I like that I know other people simply hate with a fiery passion.

The Spirit is strange, stupid, ridiculous and so over the top it’s down the other side of the hill.
I remember going to a cinema screening of Sin City when it was first out and a young couple in the lobby afterwards. The girl said to the boy “Well that was a load of rubbish, you’re not picking our films again” to which the boy replied “Yeah you’re right”. But the look on his face as a pained one. He had enjoyed the film but wanted to keep his girl happy. I sometimes think that is the way with many film goers, we should stick up for the films that we like even if others don’t care of them.

Of course I’m not saying force others to watch what you know they will hate, but be proud of the films that are beyond the norm. Of course I know some films are just plain bad that they have nothing to say to anyone. But The Spirit is so dumb and beyond the normal that it’s a joy to me.

I love Sin City the film and the comics. I enjoy Frank Miller’s work. Of course even I can admit with The Dark Knight Strikes Again he went bat-shit crazy. Also maybe it’s because I knew nothing about The Spirit comics that I enjoyed the film. As if it’s just another chapter from Sin City.
Samuel L Jackson. My, my, my. What planet was he on when he made this film? He is the villain, an egg obsessed weirdo with zero marbles.

Jackson chews the scenery, well he would if there was any scenery. Since we are in green screen world. As you might have guessed I’ve watched this film a fair few times. I can’t explain the plot. I have zero idea what on Earth is going on. Something to do with legends of old and magic ever lasting life giving blood.  Just watch it. If you didn’t like the look of it from the trailer then don’t watch it. It’s not everybody’s cup of tea. But for me it’s a pleasure and not a guilty one.


No comments:

Post a Comment