Tuesday 8 July 2014

Man of Steel

Hello there. And let’s lay this one to rest right off the bat, I’ve never been a huge fan of Superman. There I’ve said it. That was good to get off my chest. The thing is, he’s too prefect. Untouchable and unkillable.
I like my heroes a bit more batty or a bit more spidery. Someone who looks like they might be killed at any moment. But saying that I’ve seen every Superman film ever made.  Not a huge feat I’m sure you’ll agree. But it does mean I’ve sat through Superman  IV a few times. So I do deserve some sort of reward.
And every episode of Smallville. So maybe I have a small soft spot for the alien boy scout.



So Man Of Steel, many people and Superman fans seem to dislike this movie for some reason.
But for me ever since I watched Superman II I’ve wanted a huge super powered bugger versus super power bugger slam fight. Man Of Steel delivers you that. A little too much. Towards the end you do get falling concrete fatigue. But that exhaustion is worth it. It seems today after so many Transformers movies every movie of this type should have wall to wall falling walls.
In the sequel gawd knows how they are going to build that city again in time for another more batty smackdown.

The actors, Henry Cavill not a bad little stud monkey. After watching him in The Tudors and Immortals he seems stately enough to play the granddaddy of all superheroes.
Yet he seems a little lost. It’s strange he is making all the right moves yet seems to belong to a different film.
Right I have never understood the appeal of Kevin Costner. He has the emotional range of a plank.
In fact he was so wooden in Waterworld he floated.
Luckily his role is small enough so he doesn’t stink the place up too much. But he does at times deliver lines that are meant to have great importance as if he is ordering curtains for a back bedroom.
Amy Adams as Lois. OK not bad. Bit bland, to the point that when I was watching it again today I couldn’t remember who was going to turn up as Lois until she came on the screen.
Michael Shannon, as the sod Zod. Grumpy monkey that one. All shouts and chewing the spaceships.

Russell Crowe, did he have a tax bill he needed paying. Because his role, isn’t very well served. I know he has to die towards the start and they do give him more than mumbles Marlon Brando but wandering about spaceships like a knock off ghost of Obi Wan isn’t great for any actor.
The rest of the cast are oh-you-know-it’s-him- from-that-thing and it’s-thingy-from-oh-it’ll-come-to-me.
So give it a go. Or give it another go. Its better the second time round. And to be honest after Watchemen Mr Snyder can do no wrong yet.






No comments:

Post a Comment